Sunday, April 24, 2016

Prayer of Jabez


The prayer of Jabez is found in 1 Chronicles 4:10.  This scripture is found in between a huge section of the list of David's lineage.

During an uneventful time in Israel's history a faithful man of God named Jabez prayed a prayer, a straightforward prayer, a prayer of faith, and with this  prayer He gained favor from God.

1 Chronicles 4:10
And Jabez called on the God of Israel, saying, Oh that thou wouldst bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou wouldst keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.

To the seeing eye you would think that this is a simple prayer, however this prayer has more faith, and wisdom then you can think.  This prayer was a specific and pointed prayer.

We do get some understanding of who Jabez is; he is a man who has faith in the Lord.  He understood the importance of prayer.  What is very interesting is as I looked into this scripture it is said that he called upon the Lord out loud, he prayed to the lord out loud.  He called on God.  He was not afraid to call upon the Lord, he was not afraid to show how much faith he had in the Lord by speaking out loud.

We also know that Jabez was a descendant of David.  I am pretty sure he knew about the faith of David.  I am sure he heard of how David defeated Goliath, how David was a man after God's own heart.  He knew how God had blessed David.  Jabez knew how God showed His amazing power for David.  How God provided for David.

Jabez had faith enough to know that the God of his forefathers who was faithful to them would be just as faithful to him.

Again his faith gave him the strength to pray this prayer.

In my next post I will break down this mighty prayer that Jabez prayed.

God Bless
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment